What project / problem are you looking to address?

projects
challenges
hackathon
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fab87efcad8> #<Tag:0x00007fab87efc8f8> #<Tag:0x00007fab87efc6f0>

(Danielle Carrick) #21

Hi guys,

I’m interested in capturing the MTA’s delay and service disruption alerts (like https://twitter.com/NYCTSubway and http://alert.mta.info/) into a database to understand which trains are delayed by what and when. It could be cool to see how weather affects service as well.

I have a background in design, specifically data visualization, but lack the dev know-how for this task.

(Joly MacFie) #22

I have a little thing that bugs me about bustime. It doesn’t differentiate between limited and regular buses (I am talking the B6). Just sayin.

(Joanna Oltman Smith) #23

I bet this would be easy for the right, talented person (not me!): DOT has a real-time speed dataset that would be great to format in a way humans could read it to see how fast vehicles are going at various monitored locations. This would be a valuable advocacy tool for safe streets activists.

(Taylor ) #24

CROW Decoding:

How do we teach the computer to translate bureaucratic legal language about the issue being addressed into something that makes sense for normal people?

Our Approach

We will this weekend focus on identifying the issues (e.g. “construction of bike lanes”) in each notice and placing them into a generic schema [e.g. “type": construction, “object": bike lanes]. The purpose of this is to understand the structure of the legal language as well as create a training data set that then can be used as the basis for teaching a machine to associate notice items with the correct subjects.

(Kuan) #25

Acris is sort of a nightmare, anything to make this data more usable / automated would be something I am interested in working on today + tomorrow.

(Patrick Atwater) #26

Just threw up an orange sticky for 14:00 in the Orange Room on CAFRs

(laidig) #27

Oy, click on your stop!
See example below
http://minus.com/lyHvQpfAWDD8A

(Sam) #28

Hey Chris, this is a late follow up but we met briefly at codeacross. I work with many agency records and want to catch up with you to see if we can help each other out. Look forward to chatting more.

Sam

(Clhenrick) #29

Hey Sam, sure! Feel free to email me at chrishenrick[at]gmail[dot]com.

Hey Guys,

I’m looking to create a map of all public and privately owned NYC homeless shelters, beginning with DHS facilities.

I’m not a developer, but I came across Mapbox. Looks like the web app that’ll work for me and has helped NYC with other major civic projects in the past.

So far I have pdf, docx and xlsx data that I’m guessing I’ll convert to csv files, since I have no idea what .geojson, .kml, or .gpx files are, besides them being the accepted file types for Mapbox.

[Update]

So I found a couple projects on the project.beta.nyc that are tackling the same problem. Nice! I’ll be reaching out to the developers.

Goal
The visual data was part of a larger problem, which is to create more transparency in shelters utilizing:

• DHS Facilities Maintenance and Development Callahan reports (can’t find it yet) - which includes items such as shelter cleanliness, rights etc given to homeless)
  • Shelter Performance Ranking open data
  • And whatever else I can find.

It would be like a civic Yelp, where you can find shelters via map or comprehensive directory.

Challenge

1. Shelter Performance Ranking open data is outdated (example here)
  2. Current Callahan deficiency data that is available (2003) is listed as N/A (example here)
  3. Also certain terminology needs to be described or explained for public understanding (e.g., 3rd Performance Tier, 5th Performance Tier, etc).

So I’ll be contacting 311. Any other ideas? DHS website is sorely outdated.