What project / problem are you looking to address?

projects
challenges
hackathon
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f6eb46ddc40> #<Tag:0x00007f6eb46dd970> #<Tag:0x00007f6eb46dd6c8>

(Noel Hidalgo) #1

For CodeAcross NYC 2015, people will break off into teams and work on one of the four problem areas.

• Improving real time notification data and tools - Since the launch of the mobile era, we are accustomed to information coming to us. At CodeAcross, we will focus on enhancing datasets and building tools that bring information into the palm of our hands.
    Example: people will work to extend CityGram.nyc by adding datasets and improving its user interface.

• Maps and visualizations - One simple way to understand data is to see it mapped or visualized. At CodeAcross, we will take on a number of datasets and improve their mapping ability. Additionally, we are challenging attendants to make data gorgeous and simple to read.
    Example: our friends at MapTime NYC want to make a new transit map layer that separates out each bus, train, and ferry line.
    Example: a number of people have scraped together NYPD’s compstat data and want to visualize it.

• Publicly accessible machine readable data - To help the City breath life into its data, we are challenging the community to take existing reports, PDFs, and databases and machine them into structured data.
    Example: Last year, the Mayor signed a law that mandates the City Record to be published as a machine readable file. This team will write parsers and scrape the data into an idealized format.

• Open data science using OSEMN - As the city’s datasets have blossomed, we challenge the community to use their analytical skills and make sense of the city’s data.
    Example: Due to the success of NYC 311’s apps and call center, the Department of Transportation’s pothole requests has ballooned. What type of data science can be applied to help streamline this operation.

Privately Owned Public Open Space
CodeAcross 2015 FAQ
What datasets would you like to see on Citygram.nyc?
(laidig) #2

We’re working on an app for MTA Bus Time (open sourced, based on Ionic/Angular), and I’d like to add it as a prospective project.

(Farheen Malik) #3

Currently, Citygram.nyc https://www.citygram.nyc/ notifies users of all 311 complaints in a selected area near an explicated address. It doesn’t have (yet) the option to receive notifications on more specific topics, such as restaurant inspection results, notifications from the Department of Mental Health, or complaints on noise/heat/hot water, illegal parking, potholes, illegal dumping, homeless assistance, etc.

What datasets should we add? I’d like to add working on possible additional datasets as a prospective project!

(Nitya Narasimhan) #4

I’m interested in contributing to the first two topics (real time notification data & tools, and Maps & Visualizations).

Specifically, I’ve been working with Meteor (a full-stack web app platform, now with Cordova support to create app-market friendly mobile apps) which is a great platform for rapid prototyping of real-time reactive apps.

I am interested in creating meteor packages for civic datasets and related maps, making it easier for others to then create rich mobile/web app experiences that can incorporate them. Once I understand how to do this effectively for one data source, my expectation is that supporting others will be easier.

I would love to talk to folks who have specific data sets or map visualization requirements (or ideas) to see if that would be a good target for that first project.

Attendee introductions!
(John Krauss) #5

I’ve just put together a scraper to gather historical tax bills on a property-by-property basis, which contains interesting information about rent-stabilized unit counts and city-estimated earnings and expenses for properties. I think I’d like to work with people on converting the HTML and text PDF output from this into machine-readable format.

I don’t think it’s what I’ll be working on for the most part at CodeAcrossNYC, but I’d love it if anyone was interested in taking a look at the Brooklyn Foreclosure PDFs I’ve just started collecting.

(Matt Stempeck) #6

We’ve got a big visualization and mapping project that you can make a big contribution to this weekend. Athena is an open source network visualization project showing who’s who and what’s what in civic tech.

There are so many people and projects in civic tech, it gets hard to keep track. Well, you shouldn’t have to. Instead, you can use Athena to understand what’s happening in civic tech in our own communities and around the world. And it’s more than a wiki – you can view the connections between entities, whether it’s funding or data usage or project collaborations. Athena lets you put yourself on the map. You can make major contributions to this project this weekend:

· Add your knowledge of the civic tech space
· Implementing a write API
· MAP: Geographic representation of the data by location (zoomable)
· Report new issues or solve existing ones
· Meta-Analytics: Add usage trend graphs and contributor leaderboards
· Visual design improvements and responsive design
· Improve filtering of the data
· Adding hierarchical data dimensions (specific projects and other parent-child relationships)
· Create your very own civic tech applications using the same dataset with the Read API

(Patrick Atwater) #7

An epic project for 3 would be to get the city’s annual financial docs (audits rather than budgets) in machine readable format. Tons of rich data in their and all locked away in pdf: http://comptroller.nyc.gov/reports/comprehensive-annual-financial-reports/

(Noel Hidalgo) #8

@patwater how does this differ from the City’s Checkbook 2.0. Just wondering, I’m not that experienced.

(yasmin) #9

Hi, I would like to find a source of open data for privately owned public spaces. Do you know know where I can find that?
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/priv/priv.shtml

(Noel Hidalgo) #10

@yasmin This sounds like a great project for Code Across. Will you be there?

(yasmin) #11

Yes @noelhidalgo. I am looking forward to it!

(Patrick Atwater) #12

@noelhidalgo the city’s checkbook you link to is a statement of cashflows whereas the city’s consolidated annual financial report (“cafr” pronounced kaffer) is the city’s balance sheet. The first shows funds going in and out whereas the second gives a snapshot of the city’s financial position at a given point in time. The latter gives you a longer time horizon, showing assets like physical property and liabilities such as bonds or pensions obligations.

In a past life, I lived in those things so I have a special vendetta for liberating the data locked away in those pdfs. Seems like a perfect job for tabula.technology and your guys’ preferred way of sharing data on the web. Cheers

(Clhenrick) #13

Hi all,

I’m interested in a couple problems to work on. One is making the NYC Department of Finance building tax documents machine readable. They are currently in PDF format and contain a lot of interesting data, though I’m not sure about the legality of making this data more open.

I’m also interested in doing some spatial analysis and visualization on housing related datasets such as HPD complaints & violations, DHCR rent stabilized building list, DOB Job permits, and the recently scraped AirBnB data.

Looking forward!

(Clhenrick) #14

@talos I mentioned the tax bill problem in a post below. Would be great to have your help or advice on making the tax bills machine readable!

(Clhenrick) #15

Almost forgot that one more project I’m working on and could use UX / UI design feedback and help with is http://amirentstabilized.com which is a web app I’m developing to encourage residents to learn about rent regulation and become involved with civic action around promoting affordable housing in NYC.

(Christopher Tull) #16

Something that I ran into recently that should be pretty easy would be scraping the various NYCHA property directories. (http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycha/html/resources/propertyguide.shtml).

They are already in a tabular form, but with just enough irregularity thrown in to make it annoying. This is something that could easily be on OpenData, but it doesn’t seem to be.

(Joanna Oltman Smith) #17

I would like to create an overlay map that shows public school student enrollment numbers with different color codes for Elementary, Middle, and High Schools combined with DOT’s Vision Zero map stats for injury/fatality prone intersections. The goal is to help DOT and DOE get serious about street design changes adjacent to schools, and prioritize projects that safeguard the youngest populations who lack the cognitive skills to safely cross the street.

I have zero GIS skills, so looking for lots of help!

(Joanna Oltman Smith) #18

It would be useful to overlay neighborhood population numbers with locations of DOT pedestrian island design interventions and the Vision Zero map of crash-prone intersections to help NYC Sanitation prioritize snow clearance of islands and corners after storms.

(Volkan Unsal) #19

This weekend I’m going to be working to overhaul the project page of BetaNYC. Second, I want to prototype ways to encourage civic participation through merit badges –– possibly a good use for the OpenBadges API. (Extrinsic rewards can sap intrinsic motivation, so one must be careful here. Could be a fun project for someone interested behavioral economics.)

Last, I want to help other projects that need support. I can build APIs and help out with visualizations.

(Noel Hidalgo) #20

@volkan_unsal, i think @sahuguet and @talos are interested in a similar system for their discourse instance!