These topics emerged within the Effective and Open Government topic area at The People’s Roadmap Workshop – Manhattan Edition (December 7, 2017). Use this thread to continue that discussion!
Community thoughts about Current State
- I think the world lacks a proper medium for public debate. Social media & news channels do not allow for arguments & reasonings to persist, preventing any kind of sophistication to develop in public discourse.
- Govt’ orgs that release well-informed data don’t always use it themselves.
Community thoughts about Desired Future State
- Increasing “ordinary citizen” open data utilization
- Politicians emails, chats, texts, etc. should be made public under FOIA in real time rather than periodically in batches.
- Add “Provide usable data to the public” to the mission statement of every city agency.