Talk.beta.nyc features discussion

features
feedback
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fab88f58800> #<Tag:0x00007fab88f586c0>

(Noel Hidalgo) #1

This is a general discussion thread on what features you would like to see added to our discussion board < talk.beta.nyc >.

What features would you like added?

(Fatima ) #2

Is there a way we could shorten the share links?
The twitter is link is super long and includes our usernames.

Automagical Bitly links maybe?

(Noel Hidalgo) #3

Great idea! I think we need to find a discourse module that does this.

(Volkan Unsal) #4

I agree. This idea is great. Let’s use Goo.gl instead, though.

(Volkan Unsal) #5

I just discovered something. You can shorten the urls by getting rid of the title.

The link to this page could be:

https://talk.beta.nyc/t/92

You can also link to replies on the post by adding a slash after the topic id

https://talk.beta.nyc/t/92/2

We need to make it so that the shared links always give you the shorter version.

(Noel Hidalgo) #6

I’d rather have the short named have the .nyc in the domain. :wink:

(Volkan Unsal) #7

What do you think of the other solution I proposed?

(Noel Hidalgo) #8

I’d love that as a URL.

BUT, discourse gives woofie to people to invite others to conversations. For example, when I invite people the URL ends on =noelhidalgo and I get credit for inviting people to the discussion.

Can that happen?

(Volkan Unsal) #9

Oh, I didn’t know about that. So we need to turn the url into a short url, and at the same time make sure the u=noelhidalgo parameter doesn’t get lost, so the sharers can collect the woofie. :wink:

(Marc) #10

a couple tings

Mobile: Single column content views! Or nearly always :wink: Portrait is king!
iOS: Enable Pinch/Zoom on all screens? Pretty please.

Can’t tell you how happy it makes me to see Discourse as reality!!! Incredible effort. Brilliant. Seriously. Thank you.

(Noel Hidalgo) #11

@Marc can you file these as feature improvement on github?

(David Matten) #12

google/OpenAuth credentials support?

can we get support for this?

I attempted to create my talk account using the “with Google” button, but it threw an error, and I find no setting to bind this account to those credentials after the fact.

Perhaps it’s just me, but there’s next to zero chance that I will continue to use this as a forum if it forces me to keep track of yet another set of credentials (which are already distinct from the one I had to create for data.beta.nyc).

(Noel Hidalgo) #13

@davidem00 we’re working on bringing together all long ins. Here are a few things.

1. File any and all issues via GitHub
  2. Do you use a password saver? I too have so many passwords that I need an app like 1Password to keep everything in one place. It works great across all of my mobile devices!

(David Matten) #14

I used to have a password safe, but gave up on it. I’m just as often away from my own personal computer (and don’t have a smartphone), that it didn’t really solve the problem sufficiently well (for me) to be worthwhile.

In the end, I just stopped contributing to forums like stackexchange, microsoft, etc, if they are going to make it hard (like when I’m at work).

Given that the “with Google” button et al was already showing on on the account creation screen, I wondered if the support was just broken, or not implemented at all.

For something in which I’m making a personal investment I’m willing to deal with it for a bit, but hopefully it will be put in place.

(Noel Hidalgo) #15

@davidem00 we are working to make things work smoothly. As far as I know, you can create an account with Google, but you can’t login with your google credentials. We’ll keep exploring login options.

Thanks for understanding.