Revisiting what Accessible Infrastructure means in 2018

2018_roadmap
roadmap_pillar
2013_roadmap
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f6eb0ca1c98> #<Tag:0x00007f6eb0ca1ab8> #<Tag:0x00007f6eb0ca1978>

(The People's Roadmap Moderator) #1

In 2013, Accessible Infrastructure was captured as follows:

Regardless of geographical location, socio-economic background, or language, all New Yorkers – businesses and residents – need access to affordable wired and wireless bi-directional high-speed Internet access.

As clean water and electricity have evolved our standard of living, only “the right to seek and receive information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers” is a universal human right. While the printing press lowered the barrier for access and education, the interconnecting network known as “the internet” has abolished the understanding of capacity. Though this network, we are now able to connect, communicate, and participate as citizens of a global network.

For New York to continue to be a global capital of creativity, justice, information, and opportunity, New Yorkers need accessible, affordable, and regulated internet infrastructure. Access to internet, however, is only the first step of many. The construction of this infrastructure must be used as an economic developmental tool. In Red Hook, Brooklyn, the combination of a community-owned peer-to-peer broadband network and job training for local young adults has built a double redundant network. Together, access to the 21st Century is grown with lifelong technical troubleshooting skills.

This topic is a place to discuss what Accessible Infrastructure means in four years later. What progress has been made in the last four years? What new problems have arisen?

(The People's Roadmap Moderator) #2

These are the crowdsourced summary statements from The People’s Roadmap Workshop – Brooklyn Edition (October 19, 2017):

• Accessible Infrastructure means networked computational resources because no one has a mainframe in their house.

• Accessible Infrastructure means realistic available access to me because it increases the availability for people to * have various options to successful careers and lives.

• Accessible Infrastructure means a smarter, cleaner point of view on the hidden “data story”.

• Accessible Infrastructure means free network access with provided devices for those without so that no one is barred from opportunities.

• Accessible Infrastructure means internet as common carriage because everyone deserves access.

• Accessible Infrastructure means open and free means to digital tools to me because these ubiquitous resources have to free and available to all.

• Accessible Infrastructure means the ability for all peoples to access reliable internet to me because our lives are increasingly digital and we cannot ignore the impact of all peoples not being fully represented in that space.

• Accessible infrastructure means more transparency to me because I like to know as much as possible.

• Accessible infrastructure mean “open sensors” because I just read that’s a thing and I want access to digital infrastructure I’ve funded with taxpayer money.

(Benjamin Chrobot) #3

(The People's Roadmap Moderator) #4

These are the crowdsourced summary statements from The People’s Roadmap Workshop – Queens Edition (November 9, 2017):

• Accessible infrastructure means a complete bike network for all ages.

• Accessible infrastructure means universal utilities (internet, phone, electric, eventually healthcare).

• Accessible infrastructure means that all transport networks should be available to all

• Accessible infrastructure means that I can tap into an IoT network without having to roll my own fiber.

• Accessible infrastructure means information should be available regardless of mobility/sensory impairment

• Accessible infrastructure means open access to technologies because we want to enable citizens to innovate and experiment freely.

• Accessible infrastructure means information about transport should be reliable and up-to-date.

• Accessible infrastructure means reliable transportation.