Vector Center is looking for a GIS (Geographic Information System) Analyst to build and support the GIS infrastructure for our Analysis Platform built on a cloud-based architecture. This person will develop, roll-out, support and maintain the tools that enable us to perform spatial analysis of water risk globally. This position executes the software development tasks as part of a small team working to develop geospatial based algorithms leveraging Azure technologies. This role is ideal for a candidate with quantitative ability, experience, and desire to contribute and grow in machine learning algorithmic and mapping exploration.
The project will be focused on Microsoft Azure technologies including, but not limited to, Azure Cognitive Services, Azure Maps, Machine Learning Studio, Open Datasets, Azure Database for PostgreSQL, Azure Data Factory.
The goal of the Vector Center is to help global corporations, institutions, and governments
predict how changes in water, food, and energy resources will impact stability, supply
chains, sustainability, and brand.
Vector Center does this through a proprietary platform where data analytics and visualization tools can effectively and efficiently support clients in understanding their challenges around water risk globally, and addressing these through data and context-based strategies in order to turn water risks into opportunities.
- Analyzing spatial data through the use of Azure mapping software
- Analyze spatial data based on analysis criteria
- Implement digital maps incorporating geographic data and other relevant data sources
- Creating shapefiles to merge topographical data with external data by layering external data over a topographical map
- Producing maps showing the spatial distribution of various kinds of data
- Developing mapping applications and tools
- Performing data munging and cleaning to convert data into its desired form
- Produce reports on geographic data utilizing data visualizations
- Managing a digital library of geographic maps in various file types
- Analyze data, statistics, and patterns in numerical information
- Use SQL, Python, and any other relevant programming languages to perform analysis
- Solve technical problems and use statistical knowledge to spot trends and find errors
- Partner with project management in providing time estimates and status reports for all work streams
- Understand application infrastructure and determine strategy to implement GIS components in Microsoft Azure framework
- As part of ongoing work and interaction with the broader team, identify new opportunities to use modeling and advanced analytics to drive business value and educate global team about analytical concepts and thought processes
- Must be able to operate with minimal oversight and operate within a self-organizing scrum team
- 3-5 years of experience with analytical techniques including spatial modeling, predictive modeling, optimization techniques, classification algorithms, ensemble methods, cluster analysis, data mining
- Experience in analytics processes using Python, R, ArcGIS, SQL, and big data platforms
- BS or MS in Geography, GIS, MIS or related discipline including advanced studies in data analytics and data science
- Knowledge of spatial data modeling, analytical and reporting systems a plus
- Strong conceptual and creative problem-solving skills; ability to work with considerable ambiguity; ability to learn new and complex concepts quickly
- Ability to build strong, collaborative working relationships
- Exceptional verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to recommend, develop, manage and drive projects to successful completion
Interested? Apply here