Ethics of Accessible Infrastructure emerged as an Accessible Infrastructure topic area at The People’s Roadmap Workshop – Brooklyn Edition (October 19, 2017). Use this thread to continue that discussion!
Community thoughts about Current State
- Run by disparate conflicting motives
- Monopoly! Few choices for internet service providers
- LinkNYC is the only ubiquitous free internet
- Network neutrality is going by the wayside
- Lack of privacy issues that those who rely solely on public wifi hubs for internet access…
- LinkNYC always spies on me. How do I opt out?
- LinkNYC accessible wifi
- Wifi Kiosks (LinkNYC)
- Trend is toward surveillance not service
Community thoughts about Desired Future State
- Regular public info sessions
- “Opt-out FAQ” for privacy from public infrastructure (sensore, LinkNYC, etc).
- NYC Fiber Map: Where is the fiber?
- The State of Infrastructure: Can there be a city resource [website?] that addresses this?
- What are the benchmarks? How fast is fast?
- Digital stewardship (story, stakes, actions)
- Stories: How? Who? What is this about?
- Stakes: Who are they going to sell to?
- Actions: Who gets the data? How do I see where my data is going?
- Opt out ability with LinkNYC
- Transparency around contracts with use of plain language
- More mesh networks