Issues with Economic Participation Start Early emerged as a Smarter Communities topic area at The People’s Roadmap Workshop – Queens Edition (November 9, 2017). Use this thread to continue that discussion!
Community thoughts about Current State
- Structural unemployment
- Seems like people get interested in tech when its late
- Slow growth of minimum wage relative to inflation
- Workforce one job-training certification programs should be open to all
- Opportunity to learn tech literacy in low-income groups are not common and don’t start early enough (K-12)
- There is so much poverty in NYC - go to NYCHA
Community thoughts about Desired Future State
- Building tech education into curriculums (earlier)
- Incentivizing continuing ed + training at companies
- Workforce one certification programs open to all!
- Teach programmatic thinking
- Tech literacy instruction K-12