Deficiencies in K-12 Education emerged as an Education and Lifelong Learning topic area at The People’s Roadmap Workshop – Brooklyn Edition (October 19, 2017). Use this thread to continue that discussion!
Community thoughts about Current State
- Teaching all tied to the screens
- Computer ‘skills’ of powerpoint and excel are taught in school, not coding.
- Unevenly distributed digital resources within schools.
- Non-standardized curriculum for digital education.
- Tech literacy minimal if completely absent from K-12 requirements.
- No civic education in schools
Community thoughts about Desired Future State
- Standardize tech curriculum/graduation requirements with resources provided for completion/sufficient funding.
- City policies on digital education in schools.
- History of “internet” in K-12, aka digital revolution.
- Validation of online source curricula (fake news education in Italy)
- “Computer Class” should be abolished. Tech should be incorporated in all classes.
- More teaching without the screen!