Class Issues within Tech emerged as an Education and Lifelong Learning topic area at The People’s Roadmap Workshop – Brooklyn Edition (October 19, 2017). Use this thread to continue that discussion!
Community thoughts about Current State
- Macbook as defacto machinery is classist.
- I don’t know… but I’m willing to start at Square 1 to learn and push forward.
- Some NYC id benefits are short-lived.
- Smartphone vs. Computer Access
- Tech literacy is expensive (time, $)
- Education is channeled via $$$ programs (either university or for-profit)
Community thoughts about Desired Future State
- Fewer assumptions about starting point.
- Responsive design for all NYC agency sites
- NYC id could give better digital benefits, discounts on online courses, etc.
- Public spaces such as libraries can provide on site devices/laptop lending programs
- “Computer Checkout” for high school students.
- Mobile first/friendly education
- Programming is the new literacy